Nowadays we must have health insurance or mediclaim insurance to safeguard our health expenses. Section 80D gives tax exemption on your health insurance premium. Under 80D tax deduction, you can get save up to 1,00,000.
Eligibility for 80D
80D exemption can be claimed by an individual or HUF if he or she is paying health premium for himself, spouses, dependent children or parents. You also can claim this deduction if you are contributing to a central Govt Health Scheme for yourself or family. If you want this deduction you can’t pay your premium payment by cash.
Different Types of Tax Deduction
There are four types of tax deductions available that you can claim they are-
- Health Insurance premium paid for you and your family.
- Health Insurance premium paid for your parents.
- Preventive health Check up expenses.
- Medical Expenses of super senior citizens
Health Insurance premium paid for you and your family:
- If you are paying health insurance premium for you or your family you can claim tax deduction under section 80D
- Tax deduction you can claim for yourself up to 25,000.
- If you are a senior citizen or 60 or 60+ you can claim the tax deduction up to 30,000.
Health Insurance premium paid for your parents:
- You also can claim the tax deduction if you are paying health insurance premium for your parents.
- Tax deduction you can claim for your parents up to 25,000.
- If your parents are senior citizen you can claim up to 30,000
- And, if you are a senior citizen and you are also paying tax for your parents the tax deduction can be up to 60,000.
Preventive Health Check up expenses
- You can claim this tax deduction if you have incurred expenses on health check up of your family, parents for your-self.
- The maximum tax-deduction is 5,000.
- This tax deduction is not included in the above tax deduction.
Medical Expenses for super senior citizens with no mediclaim
- If your parents are super senior citizen (80 or 80+) but they are not covered by any health insurance you still can claim tax deduction
- You have to take care all their medical expenses.
- The maximum amount of tax deduction is 30,000
|Covered Persons||Limit of Exemption||Health Check up||Total|
|Self & Family||Rs. 25,000||Rs. 5,000||Rs. 30,000|
|Self & Family + Parents||Rs. 25,000+ Rs. 25,000 = Rs. 50,000||Rs. 5,000||Rs. 55,000|
|Self & Family +Senior Citizen Parents||Rs. 25,000+ Rs. 50,000 = Rs. 75,000||Rs. 5,000||Rs. 80,000|
|Self(Senior Citizen) & Family +Senior Citizen Parents||Rs. 50,000+ Rs. 50,000 = Rs. 1,00,000||Rs. 5,000||Rs. 1.05lakhs|